There are so many reasons to consider what you are cleaning with! When I was pregnant with my oldest son 7 years ago, I was reading all of the baby books and some of the info was so foreign to me. I came across some info about cleaning with chemicals and that by me touching anything to my skin I was transferring it to my child! WHAT!? This was totally crazy to me. Why didn’t I know this before and what was I doing to my unborn child??? I was freaking out and immediately wanted to find something to use that I felt good about. That weekend I went to a bazaar and saw someone selling Shaklee. I would have walked right by and not even noticed what she was selling but I was on the hunt for cleaning products. I took home a bottle of Basic H2 and a pack of bottles. It was awesome! I was happy with my purchase and life went on doing the best that I knew how and trying to change my eating habits, etc until my little bundle of joy was born.
The rest of my Shaklee story didn’t begin until almost 2 years later! THAT is how long my bottle of cleaner was lasting and about the time that I started considering finding a vitamin to take now that I was no longer needing my prenatal vitamins prescribed by my doctor. I will save that part of my story for another day 🙂
Here is some info for you to educate yourself with….
The real dirt on clean.
You know that good, healthy feeling you get when you’ve just
cleaned house? Sorry to spoil it, but you may have just made
your home dirtier.
Think of it this way. You wouldn’t let your kids play with toxic
chemicals, so why would you let the baby crawl over a floor that’s
just been wiped with them? That’s much more dangerous than the
orange juice that was just there.
How dangerous? Just take a look at these statistics.
• Over 90% of poison exposures happen at home.
• Common chlorine bleach is the #1 household chemical
involved in poisoning.
• Organic pollutants, found in many common cleaners and
even air fresheners, are found at levels 2 to 5 times higher
inside your home than out.
• A person who spends 15 minutes cleaning scale off shower
walls could inhale three times the “acute one-hour exposure
limit” for glycol ether-containing products set by the California
Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.
• Common cleaners give off fumes that can potentially
increase the risk of kids developing asthma, the most
common chronic childhood disease.
• 1 in 13 school-aged children has asthma. Rates in children
under five have increased more than 160% from 1980 – 1994.
• Children are highly vulnerable to chemical toxicants. Pound
for pound of body weight, children drink more water, eat more
food, and breathe more air than adults. The implication of this
is that children will have substantially heavier exposures than
adults to any toxicants that are present in water, food, or air.
• If your home is anything like the average U.S. home, you
generate more than 20 pounds of household hazardous waste
each year (the EPA designates toilet cleaners, tub and tile
cleaners, oven cleaners, and bleach as hazardous waste).